Taunton the Octagon

Built as a Methodist meeting house and opened by John Wesley 6th March 1776. The Brethren moved in when the Methodist society opened their new church at the Temple in 1811. After various vicissitudes the chapel has been converted to office accommodation.

Tradition has it that its octagonal form was prescribed by John Wesley himself.

ST 229 248, In a gated alley S of Middle Street in the town centre.

Back to menu