Taunton Mary Street Chapel

The church began as Particular Baptist in persuasion and was in existence by 1646. In 1815 it joined with a Presbyterian congregation from Tancred Street and by this time had become Unitarian. The street frontage was remodelled in the 19th century.

Behind is a remarkable interior that is remarkably intact albeit slightly altered using original fttings in the early 19th century. The Memorial Hall with its distinctive tower and stained glass was built about 1862 as part of the adjoining schoolrooms.

ST 228 242, In Mary Street, now the inner ring road (A38) S of the town centre.

Back to menu

*** outstanding