Stogursey St. Andrew

A magnificent church in its scale and feel. Its form is that of the early Norman Benedictine cruciform priory church with its rectangular crossing. The three eastern apses were demolished in the late 12th-century lengthening of the choir and its aisles.

The present east wall is a rebuilding of the mid 19th century. The nave and choir aisles were further remodelled in the 15th century presumably after the priory was suppressed in 1414 as it then belonged to the French monastery at Lonlay.

ST 204 428, At the E end of the village on minor roads 5km NE of Nether Stowey.

Back to menu

*** outstanding