Spaxton Agapemone

This disused chapel built about 1849 has a colourful history. It was built for the 'Lampeter Brethren', a sect led by the Rev Henry James Prince who was removed as curate together with his convert, the rector, at Charlinch for irregular practices.

The Brethren became know as the Agapemonites and the chapel together with the house, their Abode of Love. Inevitably, given their singular views on communality and marriage, there were a series of scandals. The last member died in 1956.

ST 233 369, On minor road at Four Forks.

Back to menu