South Petherton Coke Memorial Methodist Church

A splendid Gothic revival building of 1881 designed for the Wesleyans by Alexander Lauder of Barnstaple and built to replace an 1809 chapel on this site. The design is a twin of Martock Methodist church.

Thomas Coke (1747-1814) was once curate at South Petherton but went onto to be a fervent Methodist becoming the first Methodist bishop and co-founder of the American Methodist Conference.

ST 430 171, on Palmer Street just N of village centre.

Back to menu