Shepton Mallet former Cowl Street Unitarian Chapel

A complex building originating from 1696 for a Presbyterian society that later became Unitarian. The original building was T-shaped with the pulpit located between the two windows on the main front but in the 19th-century the arrangement was altered.

The pulpit (now preserved in St Nicholas Church Museum, Bristol) was moved to the south end and church reduced to a rectangle. The church closed in the 1960s and the fittings were removed. It is now a private dwelling.

ST 618 441, on Cowl Street just W of B3136 as it runs N from the town centre.

Back to menu