Kingston St. Mary

A magnificent church which looks entirely 15th/16th century in date from the outside but inside has a pair of fine 13th-century nave arcades. The S porch is fan vaulted.

The bench ends are late 15th/early16th century including the initials of Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey and one dated 1522. There is also a good series of hatchments, 18th-century pulpit and a brass candelabrum of 1773 by Thomas Bayley.

ST 222 297, on rising ground on the N side of the village green, on minor roads 5km N of Taunton.

Back to menu

** well worth a visit