Ilminster St Mary

A grand impressive cruciform church with clerestoried nave and central tower all entirely built in the Perpendicular style. The tower is reminiscent of the central tower of Wells Cathedral.

The nave arcade and clerestorey was rebuilt in 1824-5 presumably to improve the visibility of the pulpit from the galleries with which they were once fitted. Good variety of fittings and much of interest.

ST 359 146, in the centre of the town on N side of Silver Street.

Back to menu

** well worth a visit