Hornblotton St Peter

A remarkable church commissioned by its rector, Godfrey Thring, in 1872-74 from the distinguished architect, Sir Thomas Graham Jackson, a disciple of Norman Shaw. From outside it appears unassuming. Inside it preserves a remarkable scheme of decoration.

The complete scheme of sgrafitto plasterwork is extraordinary - the technique consists of cutting away the buff surface coat to reveal a red layer underneath. Floor tiles and wooden furnishings complete the effect. Only the glass is strangely muted.

ST 590 342, on gated minor road signposted E off A37.

Back to menu

*** outstanding