Frome St John Baptist

A large impressive church successively enlarged from the 12th century on and much restored and chancel rebuilt in the 19th. The spire too was rebuilt in 1830. The furnishings, fittings and memorials are interesting.

Due to the energy of Rev W.G.E.Bennett between 1851 and 1886, the church became a model of the Tractarian movement. The tomb of Bishop Ken of Bath and Wells (died 1711), designed by Benjamin Ferrey, lies outside the E wall.

ST 775 479, E of Bath Street on hillside overlooking the town centre.

Back to menu

** well worth a visit