Farleigh Hungerford Castle Chapel

A simple family chapel first built as the new parish church about 1370-83 with N chapel added about 1400. A replacement parish church was built further up the hill when the chapel was incorporated within the castle about 1440.

The chapel preserves a remarkable series of monuments to the Hungerfords, a wall painting of St George, an unusual 17th-century pulpit and in the burial vault beneath the best collection of anthropoid coffins in Britain.

ST 800 576, in outer bailey of the Castle, to access purchase entry to English Heritage property.

Back to menu

*** outstanding