Carhampton St. John the Baptist

The tower was rebuilt in 1870 and the rest of the church heavily restored in the 1860s. It is a spacious 15th-century structure with some ornamental fragments of the original wagon roof and with a fine rood screen.

The screen has been repainted to resemble its late-medieval colour scheme. The church is associated with the indefatigable St. Carantoc who, to get his altar back from King Arthur, had to subdue a local dragon. The dragon obligingly took itself off.

ST 008 426, In the village on the N side of A39.

Back to menu