Bridgwater Christ Church

The church was originally built for the followers of John Norman, the Vicar of Bridgwater, who was ejected in 1660 and later imprisoned for his nonconformist preaching. Since the early 18th century, the congregation have attested the Unitarian persuasion.

The present building of 1788 replaced a meeting house built here in 1688. The shell hood over the door is a remnant of this earlier structure. The pulpit was originally on the W side.

ST 299 369, in Dampiet Street just S of the town centre.

Back to menu

* worth a visit